After Humboldt, we worked our way northeast and worked for a week on a class outing on the Klamath river. Val got us this gig. She's worked a couple of trips each year for Sierra South. This trip is for the Juniors at a private school in Pasadena. It's pretty easy duty for the guides. The kids are already organized into their own rafts, with one of the kids acting as the guide. They also do their own cooking and they often bring way more tasty food than they can finish. Val has joked that we could go without cooking on a trip, mooching all our food off of the kids. 

Since the kids didn't know any better, I could pose as a super gnar guide:

All we guides have to do is to make sure that the kids don't kill themselves on the river. The school provides two teachers for each pod of 28 kids to enforce discipline and provide meds to kids that need them. It's a 6 day trip and in October, the weather is still pretty warm. In August, it'd be too hot at night. We had some cool mornings, but it was fine for us. Even the camp they called Hell was fine. It had a really hard dew in the morning, but it didn't penetrate my down bag and I didn't even zip it up the entire trip.

On the water, we had three guides for each 28 kid pod. One of the guides paddled a raft with the teachers in it, another guide (me!) paddled a kayak and the third guide (Val) sat in different rafts to help the kids out if they needed it. The first day was really funny. You can tell teenagers things, but they won't always sink in. We had a swimmer in the Class 1+ rapid not more than 50 yards out of the gate. Another boat had a lot of trouble going straight. They were bickering with each other and the student guide wasn't really paying attention. They ended up hitting most of the trees and rocks that day. That night, guides from the other pod noticed that their raft was leaking air and couldn't be repaired. Luckily, we had a spare raft at the campground we were staying in. A little air and we had a new raft for them. As we were rolling it though, we noticed lots of twigs in the boat. 
    "How'd you guys put a big hole in this raft?"
    "It was there when we got in."
    "Where did all these twigs come from?"
    "We ran into some trees on the way down."
    "So it wasn't the running into rocks and trees that made the hole, huh? Yeah right."

We didn't have a waterproof camera so not too many pics to share of the trip.

One day, I had to help one of the rafts when they couldn't keep the boat straight. I just clipped my cowtail to their raft and towed them back to the rest of the group.

One day, camp started out cool and foggy

We drank lots of espresso and hot chocolate to warm up.

Then the sun came out and we put away the insulated clothing.

This was a really fun trip and my first experience on the other side of guiding. I enjoyed it and hope to do it again.